Are You Drunk?

What else is on your mind?

Are You Drunk?

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Ephesians 5:18-20
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Are you a drunk? Why not? Oh — yes, it does get embarrassing.

However, the apostle Paul wants you to be drunk on the Holy Spirit. Then, you will speak to yourself in psalms and hymns. But it is often said that people who talk to themselves are crazy. And constantly thanking God can make people weary — I guess because then God gets all the credit for what they have done. But singing spiritual songs and making melody in your heart... well, that should be OK.

Still, if the apostle Paul recommends getting drunk on the Spirit, and you are not doing that — well, do you wonder what you are missing? And then, so often people wonder why they do not experience more of God in their life. Maybe, they should have a drink. But watch out, as it can be intense —

Acts 2:13-17
Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine. But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

One way to become drunk in the Spirit is to read Scripture —

Jeremiah 23:9
Mine heart within me is broken because of the prophets; all my bones shake; I am like a drunken man, and like a man whom wine hath overcome, because of the LORD, and because of the words of his holiness.

But I think that comes about not from drinking but from eating —

Jeremiah 15:16
Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Did you ever want to pick up your Bible and eat it? Nah — don't do it! This verse is just a figurative way of noting how intense reading the Bible can be.

Did you ever become so involved in reading your Bible, that you became like a drunk? When I read my favorite verses over and over, it happens to me. It is a very serene kind of drunk, and it sets everything into proper perspective. That's why I'm trying to become a habitual drunk. I like the way it affects my sense of judgement.

Well, if you don't really want to become a drunk, at least remember these verses are in the Bible.
Paul
Site Admin

Return to The Casual Side